Sunday, March 21

Not One, But Two Babies

Having been married for almost two years, I was ready to begin the next part of our life together.  It got to the point that I would get teary eyed when I saw other women with babies.  (I can be such a silly woman!) Even though we had planned for March, The Pope and I decided it was time to start trying.
The weekend of Valentine's Day I took two pregnancy tests.  The first one just had a very faint second line (indicating I was indeed pregnant).  Then The Pope went out and bought a digital test.  He much preferred the "pregnant" "not pregnant" reading.  Yep, we were going to have a baby, just one.
Then I started bleeding.  Every few days I would spot a little and sometimes I would bleed a lot (sorry if this is too much information for some of y'all).  Since my first OB appointment was still a few weeks away, I called to get their opinion.  The triage nurse kept saying things like, "We need to make sure it's a viable pregnancy.  If I were you, I would go to the ER just to be sure."  She must have said "viable pregnancy" five times.  I freaked out.
I called my GYNO and was able to be seen that day, since I was an established patient with them.  The best phlebotomist ever (I asked if I could put her in my pocket and take her with me) took about eight vials of blood to be tested for various things.  Then we went upstairs to get an ultrasound.
The Pope and I had no idea what we were looking at on the big screen on the wall.....just lots of black and white swirls.  The technician got very quiet, which of course worried me.  She asked, "Do twins run in your families?"  We just started laughing and I asked The Pope, "What have you done to me?!"
Now we are reading and researching all the we can in the next 7 months, getting prepared for not one, but two babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment